Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

5 263 Posts in 2 026 Topics- by 1 190 Members - Latest Member: hgjfdgdfd

25 April 2018, 20:30
Select Language English | Russian ru | German
Main PageIRC Client KVIrc forumKVIrc discussionFeature requestsA few ideas on Idle and Away
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A few ideas on Idle and Away  (Read 17804 times)
Mircea
Новичок

sonichedgehog_hyperblast00
View Profile Email
« on: 4 January 2008, 03:37 »

Firstly hello, as I am new here, though most probably know me from #KVirc on freenode as Taoki Smiley

I am currently using KVirc 3.2.6, though I don't know what intends to be implemented in version 4. Anyway, I noticed there are a few things related to the Away and Idle modes, that would be really nice and helpful if they where to be implemented, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to post about them here.

The first things I thought of first of all, which would be a really good idea, would be Away and Idle icons that could appear right next to the Op/Admin/Voice icon. The idle indicator could just do what the current KVirc does, but just add a icon like a messenger icon together with changing the nick's color to indicate they're idle.

An away indicator could slowly check each person if they are marked as away for each channel you join when you join it, without making a /whois flood or anything if that would be possible. After it has everyones current status, it can just put an icon on everyone once they mark theirself as away, and remove it when they are back.

Another thing that would be really nice would be having the possibility to set an automatic line to say when you go away, and one when you're back. For example, you could set "/me goes away" to be said in all channels when you set yourself away, and "/me returns" when you get back.

Also, a third great feature would be echoing your away message in a channel, when someone says your name there. So if you are away and someone says your name, the client would talk for you and say "I am currently away". It could be annoying if your name is something too common, but of course it would be a setting you can just turn off. Your away message should also be echoed to a person that sends you a private message while you are away, one time for every person for the current away state.

So yeah, these are mostly my small ideas I thought about. Hope they may get implemented too one day Smiley
ctrlaltca
KVIrc Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 9 January 2008, 16:52 »

Hello and welcome Taoki Smiley
By now kvirc 4 is planned to be only a port of kvirc 3.2.99 to the new qt4 libraries, so in reality no feature is going to be added/removed; anyway, it's good to get feedback from kvirc users and to know what they'd like to see in future versions Smiley

Away icons: away status for the users is available in the nicklist; check Settings->Configure Theme->UserList->Foreground, here you can choose nicknames to be coloured different if they're away. I know it's not exactly what you're asking for, but i hope this can be useful to you by now Smiley

Idle icons: there's already a sort-of icon that shows the idle status of the users in the nicklist, you can enable here:
"Settings->Configure Theme->UserList->Features->Show user channel activity indicator"; if you'd prefer it to be shaped in a different way, may i ask you to create a small concept image to let us see your idea?

Away indicator: already present, it uses "/WHO #channel" requests and changes the nickname color (see my first answer);

Away message: easy to do with a script, just create an alias "/myaway" that sets you away and execute something like this:
Code:
foreach(%w,$window.list(channel),$window.list(query))
  eval "me -r=%w goes away"
Feel free to ask in #kvirc@freenode for help on creating this alias Smiley

Away message repetition upon user calling: really nice idea, easy to do using a script that reacts sending a message when someone calls your nickname.

Mircea
Новичок

sonichedgehog_hyperblast00
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2008, 18:33 »

Thank you for the welcome firstly Smiley Yes, I know about the user activity indicators... though they're not exactly what I had in mind for an idle indicator. And yeah I have it set for nickname to change color on idle too.

What I mostly had in mind is something like this (edited screenshot show what I mean, so nothing here is a real feature in KVirc):

Well yeah, I'm basically of the belief IRC needs to be given messenger features. What I basically mean is that it would be nice if KVirc could use and away/idle system like the one on MSN and YIM.

Note - The idle icon I'm thinking about is not a users activity on irc... as everyone would have that icon then when they don't talk. I was basically thinking of idle based on mouse / keyboard / screensaver. As for the away one, like I said, based on your /away set status.
dracozny
Новичок

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 4 November 2009, 21:50 »

on my server the most hated scripts are away script messages. icon changes would be cool though.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic